This course aims to introduce the students to the Japanese language at its beginner level by acquainting them with rudimentary words, phrases, and sentences used for everyday communication, to selected essential topics of Japanese culture, and to the basics of Japanese writing system. Upon the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Exchange basic communicative phrases for making acquaintance,
- Recognize, pronounce, and write sounds of the Japanese language in Hiragana, Katakana, Roman characters, and selected Kanji characters,
- Describe in English/ Sinhala selected terms on Japan and Japanese culture,
- Articulate everyday expressions in familiar contexts,
- Recognize and reproduce selected common loanwords in Japanese by incorporating them into speech.